Re: character display problem with web browsers

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:13:05AM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> scripsit Jamin W. Collins:
> > On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 05:43:30 -0400 thanhvu <thanhvu@bonbon.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I have this weird character display on any web browser (I tried opera,
> > > mozilla, and galeon). The 's or 're becomes something like  y with two
> > > dots above it. Any suggestions on how to fix this annoyance ?  Thanks
> >
> > IIRC, the problem is due to the way the site was created and the fonts
> > used on the site.  They were most likely created using MS tools and thus
> > have automatically been updated to use MS's preferred version of '.  One
> > solution is to educated the web masters.  The other is to figure out the
> > font they used and install it.
> >
> > For more information:
> > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html
>
> This particular problem is different.  I was experiencing it on my LFS
> (Linux From Scratch) box with MS `core fonts' installed.  The pages in
> question were most definitely coded properly (e.g., &#8217; for
> apostrophe).  It seems to be a problem when CSS specifies, for example,
> Georgia, and you have Georgia on your box.  IIRC overriding the document
> style and using a normal X font gets you correct display.

I had this problem too. It's actually bug #141571. Character &#8217; is
present in iso8859-13 at position 255, so Mozilla tries to use Georgia
with that encoding to display that character. Somehow this doesn't work
properly without putting a copy of encodings.dir (e.g., from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/encodings.dir) in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType. Not that this is _not_ a Mozilla bug;
You can see the problem just as easily using gfontview (for example).
Unfortunately, this workaround hasn't been incorporated in the package,
and since MS stopped providing the fonts, it probably never will be :(.

HTH,
Matijs.

--
Note that I use Debian version testing/unstable
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz5 #1 Sun Jun 2 15:16:44 CEST 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands