Re: character display problem with web browsers

scripsit Jamin W. Collins:
> On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 05:43:30 -0400 thanhvu <thanhvu@bonbon.net> wrote:
>
> > I have this weird character display on any web browser (I tried opera,
> > mozilla, and galeon). The 's or 're becomes something like  y with two
> > dots above it. Any suggestions on how to fix this annoyance ?  Thanks
>
> IIRC, the problem is due to the way the site was created and the fonts
> used on the site.  They were most likely created using MS tools and thus
> have automatically been updated to use MS's preferred version of '.  One
> solution is to educated the web masters.  The other is to figure out the
> font they used and install it.
>
> For more information:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html

This particular problem is different.  I was experiencing it on my LFS
(Linux From Scratch) box with MS `core fonts' installed.  The pages in
question were most definitely coded properly (e.g., &#8217; for
apostrophe).  It seems to be a problem when CSS specifies, for example,
Georgia, and you have Georgia on your box.  IIRC overriding the document
style and using a normal X font gets you correct display.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Doctoral Student, Department of History

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul