Re: setting Env variable, and in Debian

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 01:51, damar thapa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to set Env variables such as JAVA_HOME, and
> PATH.  Since it has to be for every one, I put it in
> /etc/profile file.  But to my surprise, it works only
> if I log into in text mode, not in X window.
>
> Are there any other files that should work for any
> environments, X or text.

interesting, it doesn't seem like there is a standard place to set
environment variables for X. It looks like it might depend on the login
manager/window manager. KDM allows you to set some things like PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PREFIX within /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc but it also seems to set
some of its own, GS_LIB, for example in /usr/bin/kde2

/etc/profile is for "Bourne compatible shells (bash(1), ksh(1), ash(1),
...)." which doesn't include X :)

maybe a little more info about what environment you are running under,
KDE, GNOME, etc, also are the users using startx or  [X|K|G]DM?

-Mark