Re: character display problem with web browsers

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 07:53:26PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:13:05AM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> >
> > This particular problem is different.  I was experiencing it on my LFS
> > (Linux From Scratch) box with MS `core fonts' installed.  The pages in
> > question were most definitely coded properly (e.g., ’ for
> > apostrophe).  It seems to be a problem when CSS specifies, for example,
> > Georgia, and you have Georgia on your box.  IIRC overriding the document
> > style and using a normal X font gets you correct display.
>
> I had this problem too. It's actually bug #141571. Character ’ is
> present in iso8859-13 at position 255, so Mozilla tries to use Georgia
> with that encoding to display that character. Somehow this doesn't work
> properly without putting a copy of encodings.dir (e.g., from
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/encodings.dir) in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType. Not that this is _not_ a Mozilla bug;
> You can see the problem just as easily using gfontview (for example).

Oops...
Actually, I meant you can see it using gcharmap.

> Unfortunately, this workaround hasn't been incorporated in the package,
> and since MS stopped providing the fonts, it probably never will be :(.

... and since they're now available from
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/, it may still be.

--
Note that I use Debian version testing/unstable
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz5 #1 Sun Jun 2 15:16:44 CEST 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands