Mozilla 1.0 issues on debian 3

hi

until debian 3 was finalized I was using the tarball package
that mozilla.org provides, I install it to $HOME/moz and
ran it from there..it work(s) fine..

when debian 3 came out I noticed it had it's own Mozilla 1.0,
so I thought to use the official version instead.

2 minor issues I don't understand why they are issues since both
versions are 1.0 ...

- when I type something in the URL bar, in the tarball mozilla a
little box pops down saying "Search google for (what i typed in)"
in the Debianized version a Pop down bar  appears but does not
say anything(using the same preferences), If I click on the
popdown bar, nothing happens on one system. on another system
There is the "Google Icon" on the dropdown bar, but if I type
something in the URL bar and click it, google says my search
was "undefined", and shows me a bunch of hits for undefined.

- I downloaded this little app, from www.xulplanet.com which
allows me to easily toggle javascript/java/popups/images/colors
on/off, this too does not load on the debian version(no error,
just doesn't show when I load..same preferences), after running
the new mozilla I tried to install the app again, it said it
was successful, when I restarted mozilla it still wasn't there.

my mozilla that is installed in ~/moz is version:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020529

the version I have from debian is:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020623
Debian/1.0.0-0.woody.1

so despite the version being the same the build is slightly
different...

also for some reason when I load the debian version it comes
up with the normal mozilla skin instead of the old netscape-style
skin(which I have set in my prefs, the mozilla skin is pretty
strange, icons are in the wrong place, some are partially hidden
by menus etc..

I guess for now I will stick with my ~/moz installation(most of
my computers are single user), but I try to stick to debian
packages where I can(better integration)

thanks

nate