Re: /dev/ttyS3 shows different I/O ports on lspci & setserial -g

Dr. Sachin Kale said:
> Hello,
>
> NOte that /dev/ttyS3 shows port as 0x02e8 ( which matches with com4
> details in win98 ) IRQ is 3 ( win98 it is 11 )
>
> Can you tell meI why this difference in port is there; when using
> lspci & setserial commands.

my experience with setserial is that it can only really guess
where the hardware is, when the IRQ or I/O port is non standard
(e.g. the typical settings for COM1/COM2), setserial most of the
time does not get everything right. in which case I need to
configure it manually e.g.

setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0x2E8 irq 7

I just wouldn't trust setserial to be able to detect the com
ports, a lot of times it works fine, but in your situation with
a very(IMO) non-standard configuration you probably have to
hardwire the configuration with a command like the above.

You may need isapnp to configure the modem as well depending on
what kind of modem it is. A few years back I managed to configure
my Zoom 56k ISA modem  to run on an obscure I/O and IRQ address
so I could use my 2 onboard serial ports at the same time as
it, took a few hours but it worked, and was worth it(I did not
have to use isapnp, the settings were set via jumpers, and
was set to IRQ2)

nate