Re: Questions on printing

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 11:55:24PM +0000, Maya wrote:
> I sooo agree with Patrick about getting the Linux community to work on
> a printing method that will be universal and at the same time unique,
> something that we can call ours and not a copy of MS-Windows. We shall
> call it "U-NIC printing environment" or something like that. I, myself,
> though of starting to work on this but it is very complicated, and what
> I can do has already been done by "Apsfilter". In the search for
> "U-NIC PE" I found that is not a Linux or UNIX problem, but the
> companies making the printers. It is true that technology is improving,
> but not at the rate of the market is exploiting it.
> That's my two cents.

CUPS can have bi-directional communication with printer while
traditional LPR/LPD is one way.

I always struggle before setting up GS filter.  But once LPR is set, it
is brainless activity.  I just do not have access to bidirectional
featues.

Real problem is not much of configuration but inefficient use of
printer.

If you use printer in Linux using GS, it is as bad as using printer in
Windows with printing option for raster image enabled.  It is very slow
on Linux due to this.  One nice thing is, on windows, printing image
overun memory and crush your PC in this mode but GS never crashed that
hard on me.

OSAMU
 .''`.  Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, Author of "Debian reference"
 : :' : http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" Social Contract

I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.