Re: Questions on printing

I thought _I'd_ snipped voraciously.  _Your_ snip lost all context.  So I
hope anyone keeping up has kept up.

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Neal Lippman wrote:

> On Monday 19 August 2002 21:54, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> > <SNIPPED> <-- whatever context this dialog had :)
>
> Yeah, I don't argue that for many the "common dialog" bit just isn't the
> right thing, and in keeping with the unix philosophy, everything should
> eventually pipe down to a common command line command, eg lp or lpr.

Which makes "common dialog" redundant.

> Part of this question relates to whether Linux is now, or ever, going to
> really challenge Windows on the desktop (vs server market). If so, then
> things like common look and feel are going to be important since not everyone
> is willing to spend and evening hacking on getting printing working with all
> of his apps. That's the one way, IMHO, that windows does win over linux - you
> install an app, and it just works with your printers automagically.

CUPS does that.

And I know that's what all the KDE/GNOME stuff is about (personally, I'm
very happy with XFce), but I really think anyone who wants to distract
people from the M$ "OS" is barking up the wrong tree by trying to
_emulate_ it.  Someone should just supply something _different_ which is
useful.  OpenOffice, to go off on a tangent, strikes me as an example - it
_emulates_ M$ bloatware - why would you do that, as opposed to providing
something different and better?

> I agree that cups seems to be _part_ of the answer, and cupsys-bsd is clearly
> a missing link - I think I must not have that, since my original debian
> install gave me both cups (which I asked for) and lpd (which I did not), so
> my installed version of lpr looks for lpd, which i don't have running.
>
> I'll look around for cupsys-bsd.

apt-get install cupsys-bsd

should take care of it.

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*