Re: Questions on printing

On Monday 19 August 2002 21:54, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> <SNIPPED>

Yeah, I don't argue that for many the "common dialog" bit just isn't the
right thing, and in keeping with the unix philosophy, everything should
eventually pipe down to a common command line command, eg lp or lpr.

Part of this question relates to whether Linux is now, or ever, going to
really challenge Windows on the desktop (vs server market). If so, then
things like common look and feel are going to be important since not everyone
is willing to spend and evening hacking on getting printing working with all
of his apps. That's the one way, IMHO, that windows does win over linux - you
install an app, and it just works with your printers automagically.

I agree that cups seems to be _part_ of the answer, and cupsys-bsd is clearly
a missing link - I think I must not have that, since my original debian
install gave me both cups (which I asked for) and lpd (which I did not), so
my installed version of lpr looks for lpd, which i don't have running.

I'll look around for cupsys-bsd.

nl