Re: Questions on printing

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
I thought _I'd_ snipped voraciously.  _Your_ snip lost all context.  So I
hope anyone keeping up has kept up.

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Neal Lippman wrote:

On Monday 19 August 2002 21:54, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

<SNIPPED> <-- whatever context this dialog had :)

Yeah, I don't argue that for many the "common dialog" bit just isn't the right thing, and in keeping with the unix philosophy, everything should eventually pipe down to a common command line command, eg lp or lpr.

Which makes "common dialog" redundant.

Part of this question relates to whether Linux is now, or ever, going to really challenge Windows on the desktop (vs server market). If so, then things like common look and feel are going to be important since not everyone is willing to spend and evening hacking on getting printing working with all of his apps. That's the one way, IMHO, that windows does win over linux - you install an app, and it just works with your printers automagically.

CUPS does that.

And I know that's what all the KDE/GNOME stuff is about (personally, I'm
very happy with XFce), but I really think anyone who wants to distract
people from the M$ "OS" is barking up the wrong tree by trying to
_emulate_ it.  Someone should just supply something _different_ which is
useful.  OpenOffice, to go off on a tangent, strikes me as an example - it
_emulates_ M$ bloatware - why would you do that, as opposed to providing
something different and better?

I agree that cups seems to be _part_ of the answer, and cupsys-bsd is clearly a missing link - I think I must not have that, since my original debian install gave me both cups (which I asked for) and lpd (which I did not), so my installed version of lpr looks for lpd, which i don't have running.

I'll look around for cupsys-bsd.

apt-get install cupsys-bsd

should take care of it.

I'll second that. I have it (cupsys-bsd) on my system, and maybe that is why I didn't have much trouble... Most of my early problems was trying to get the server function working for my network. Once I got clued in that the default Debian install had it turned off, and I got it configured properly, it works great across the network too!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-