Re: driver configuration (sound)

christenpet@snip.net wrote:

Chris,

I don't know what I was doing wrong before with tar, but when I used the long version of the options (--bzip2, etc.) it worked.

So I followed all the instructions carefully, set up the symlink, ran "make menuconfig," and "make dep." (Should I have run "make oldconfig?" Step 4.3.)

For step 5 it seemed that I had to use the append-to-version option when building the kernel because I am using the same kernel version that I installed from the CDs. So I ran "make-kpkg clean," then "make-kpkg --append-to-version peter." Just guessing that this was the right way to proceed!

I got lots of text on the screen, no error messages that I could see, but when I looked in /usr/src there were only the zipped and unzipped kernel source files. Actually, I got further than I thought I would with this experiment. Any idea what went wrong? By the way, I was able to run the make-kpkg without being "root." At this point it might be better to re-install, using that F3 option to select the kernel. I wish that there had been a warning somewhere that you wouldn't get sound drivers with the default kernel!

Thanks,
Peter

Chris Lale wrote:

PS just received your other message - glad all is working now. Perhaps
you had root permissions the second time?

You don't need to re-install the whole system - just
apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.10 and follow instructions.

Here is the detail:

	  Precautions

	If you have
other operating systems on your PC, or you are using a
boot-loader such as Partition Magic, you must be careful not
to write to the master boot record (mbr). If you do write to
the mbr, you may find that systems such as Windows NT will not
boot. You will have to repair them with the system's
"emergency repair disc" or "recovery disc", or restore the mbr
from a backup copy (see below).

	Make sure that you have an up-to-date emergency repair
disc for systems such as Windows NT.

Make a backup copy of your existing mbr to floppy disc. Put a
formatted floppy in drive f0 and use the following command to
copy the mbr from hard drive hda. (You must have root
permissions.)

athlon:/home/chris# mount /floppy

athlon:/home/chris# dd if=/dev/hda of=/fd/MBR bs=512 count=1

athlon:/home/chris# umount /floppy

You can restore the mbr from the floppy using this
command:

athlon:/home/chris# dd if=/fd/MBR of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1

See /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz for more details.

Debian boot floppies You must be able to
boot back into Debian if the installation goes wrong. You can
do this from the Official Binary CDROMs providing that they
are bootable on your PC. Now would be a good time to try. Boot
your PC with the Official Binary CD in your CDROM drive. Press
F3 at the
boot: prompt, and read about
the RESCUE option.

Alternatively, you may have made a boot floppy when you
originally installed Debian. If not, you can make an
up-to-date boot floppy during this installation. Make sure
that you have a floppy disc ready.

Installing the new kernel

You can check which pre-compiled kernels are available
using apt-cache.

athlon:/home/chris# apt-cache pkgnames | grep kernel-image | more

A good choice is "kernel-image-2.2.20", because it
includes the "ide-scsi" module (and sound I think!). Use
apt-get to start the
installation process.

athlon:/home/chris# apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20

A new kernel has been installed at /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20

Would you like to create a boot floppy now? [No]

Enter y if you would
like to create a boot floppy, and follow the
instructions.

Would you like to create a boot floppy now? [No] y

Now you need to install a boot block. This makes your
system bootable from the hard drive. If Debian is the only
operating system on your PC, you can probably accept the
default answers. If you have other operating systems and a
boot manager other than lilo you must be careful
not to install a boot block in the mbr
nor to make your Linux root partition
active.

My system has other operating systems on /dev/hda1,
/dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5. The Linux swapspace is on /dev/hda6
and the Debian root is on hda7. My boot manager expects to
boot Debian Linux from partition /dev/hda7. This is what I
have to enter:

Install a boot block using the existing /etc/lilo.conf [Yes] n

Wipe out your old LILO configuration and make a new one? [No] y

Do you wish to set up Linux to boot from the hard disk? [Yes] y

Install a partition boot block on partition /dev/hda7? [Yes] y

Make /dev/hda7 the active partition? [Yes] n

You should be able to work out your needs by looking at
this listing. See /usr/doc/mbr/README and documents in
/usr/doc/lilo for more details

Good luck!

Chris.