Re: Equation editors [Was: Re: CUPS]

Thanasis Kinias wrote:
scripsit David P James:

Please don't judge (La)TeX by LyX ;) LyX's interface didn't do it for me, either. I just use vim for my
LaTeX instead.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am quite impressed with kate as an editor of all sorts.

How's
\hat{\sigma}^2

strike you?  That's pure LaTeX unencumbered by LyX's GUI.

It strikes me as fairly similar to WP's eqn editor. I've never used LaTeX before, but I think the same style of formatting is used in the Discus discussion-board system that the Economics department employs, though most users haven't figured out that the capability exists.

I took the liberty of putting a PDF showing a couple lines from your
prof's notes up at <http://www.public.asu.edu/~tkinias/foo.pdf>, to give
you an idea of how LaTeX renders math.  The source is there, too, at
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~tkinias/foo.tex>.

To be sure, LaTeX has a bit of a learning curve, but if you master it
you'll never want to muck with WP again for math.

It's not that I don't like WP for math; the editor is probably derived from TeX in some butchered form. I don't know if you've ever used it but it has a list of all the possible commands and symbols at the left. When you click on one the command is printed into the editor box, and you can then press the refresh button to show you what it looks like. That's a fairly nice arrangement as it allows you to learn what is doing what. That's where LyX was weak - you could enter LaTeX commands -- if you knew what they were already, but it [apparently] had no facility to allow you to learn it. But WP allows you to learn its formatting as you went, and so by the end of the semester I could create equations quite quickly with it. The downside of WP is that the output of the equation editor is an image. The other thing that I really like about WP generally is the reveal codes pane. I always work with it displayed at the bottom, giving it about 3 lines of space. It has come in very useful on numerous occasions when I have had to clean up other people's messes, especially converted Word documents. It's also very useful in the linux version as WP under wine has a tendency to not display or incorrectly display subscripts and superscipts - but with reveal codes on you can see that it is in fact there, and go on to worry about other things.

***wishful thinking alert***

What I would really like is a word processor/document processor that is structured much like Mozilla's Composer. The first tab is a "normal" word processor whilst other tabs allow you to view what is going on in the background (a la reveal codes, or, I would guess, like a LaTeX document in its source format - it could use LaTeX-like formatting for all I care, so long as it is editable as in Mozilla Composer). It would also have embedded equation generating capabilities in the document format, so that equations aren't some image but actually part of the document. It could even have an optional tab for setting the equations, much like WP's but with a few more graphical options (anyone ever used Lotus Amipro? - like that), or of course you could also set equations in the source tab. There could also be optional tabs for building macros and templates, tables and charts, etc.

I suppose that the "disadvantage" of doing this is that you'd no longer be able to save the documents in Word format or any other existing word processor format owing to the fact that equations or any other made-up characters would not be displayable.

At first, MathML would seem to be a reasonable compromise between these worlds, but then somehow it didn't quite work out as I can't get my beloved accents on top of any character correctly in it, at least as implemented by OpenOffice.

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV