Re: DSL confiruration

Phil Beder <phillinux@brainlink.com> [2002-08-19 15:56:53 -0400]:
> I'm setting up a debian server at a NYC Public School.
>   They have DSL access.  I just got the NIC configured and

A little more information would be good.  For me DSL means a DSL
modem, probably external, possibly internal.  Mine is a Cisco.  If you
want to use the DSL with more than one computer then it will
definitely be external.

The DSL model will provide a 10/100baseT network to be plugged into a
hub/switch.  Other computers plug into the hub/switch.  The DSL modem
usually provides a DHCP server which downstream computers will use to
get a local IP address.  The modem will do NAT and IP masquarde all
downstream computers as a single external IP address.  The NAT will
make a good firewall to protect the downstream computers from the Evil
Internet.  This is a typical configuration.

In a configuration such as this, and you saying you have the NIC
configured, I assume you don't need anything more.

What do you think you need?

>  would like to upgrade to the latest stable version (potato
>  -machines are old don't need woody)

The latest stable version is now "woody".  It is now considered to be
the best available version.  I recommend it.

> BTW:   I don't have X running yet, and I dont think the
>  machine is picking up the DSL line.

What do you need X for?  Debian does not require it for installation
or configuration.

> how do I check?

Possibly this would work?  If you can ping out then you are up and
running.  Does your DSL have status LEDs?

  ping www.debian.org

If that works then you are up on the network.

> how do I configure? (if necessary)
> is there a module to load?

These questions lead one such as myself to believe that you did not
get your NIC configured as you stated.  If you had a Network Interface
Card configured then you would have networking running and would be
able to get to either internal or external sites.

Good Luck!
Bob