[Fwd: Re: more on mp3s and ogg]

--- Begin Message ---
Neal Lippman wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. My first pass went quite well: I used cdparanoia to grab the first track off a CD (Elton John's Greatest Hits, Vol 3, if you are curious) and then oggenc to encode it. Via FreeAmp, I really cannot hear the difference between the two (.wav and .ogg) files, at least not with my cheapo computer speakers (I guess I need to invest in some better speakers now). Since the .wav is 50MB, and the ogg is 3MB, any reduction in sound quality is worth the space savings!

I guess I'll give abcde a whirl now and see if it can just grab the whole darn cd...

The biggest problem I'm having now is some NFS badness, but I'll post that separately to see if anyone has any bright ideas.

Thanks again to all who helped.

nl

Here is a general description of my home system: Pass Labs Aleph 5 amplifier Theta Data Basic CD transport Adcom GD700 analog to digital converter Pass Labs Aleph preamplifier (mostly passive) B&W Matrix 804 loudspeakers MIT speaker cables and Goertz silver patch cables VPI Aries turntable with Grado MM Cartridge and Creek MM phono preamp

I can usually hear the differences between two MP3's encoded at the same bitrate but with different encoders. I don't even have to be in the same room to know which one sounds better (LAME does). Which audio format sounds the best? Which is less irritating over a long listening session? Vinyl. Vinyl flat out beats my digital combo hands down anyday. Oh, and I usually pick up Mint unplayed records at thrift shops for about a quater (25 cents!) a pop. BTW, I have seen some 5-7 year old CD's that have succumbed to CD rot and are now rendered unplayable. Properly cared for vinyl will probably outlive you twice over.

--- End Message ---