more on mp3s and ogg

Thanks to all who responded. My first pass went quite well: I used cdparanoia
to grab the first track off a CD (Elton John's Greatest Hits, Vol 3, if you
are curious) and then oggenc to encode it. Via FreeAmp, I really cannot hear
the difference between the two (.wav and .ogg) files, at least not with my
cheapo computer speakers (I guess I need to invest in some better speakers
now). Since the .wav is 50MB, and the ogg is 3MB, any reduction in sound
quality is worth the space savings!

I guess I'll give abcde a whirl now and see if it can just grab the whole
darn cd...

The biggest problem I'm having now is some NFS badness, but I'll post that
separately to see if anyone has any bright ideas.

Thanks again to all who helped.

nl