Re: Where to run hdparm during boot?

Robert James Kaes <rjkaes@flarenet.com> writes:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Matthias Daub wrote:
>> (2) After several tests with stable results I decided to make this change
>> permanent. I think (I'm not sure though) I should put this command
>> somewhere in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh. Is this true and if so, where do I
>> put it?  In not, what file should it go in (and where)?
>
> I placed my hdparm script in the /etc/rc.boot directory.  I called the
> script 0hdparm and chmod'd it to 755.  It now executes every time the
> computer is booted.

rc.boot is pretty deprecated at this point.  It's better to put your
script in /etc/init.d (e.g. /etc/init.d/hdparm), and then put an
appropriately named symlink in /etc/rcS.d
('ln -s ../init.d/hdparm /etc/rcS.d/S25hdparm').  See the Debian Policy
Manual section 10.3, and /usr/share/doc/sysvinit/README.runlevels.gz.

	-- Abra Mitchell