Re: xdm won't run xbanner

> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:20:13 -0700
> From: Jeff <jcoppock1@attbi.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: xdm won't run xbanner
>
> Tom Kuiper, 2002-Aug-18 05:14 +0000:
> > Greetings all.
> >
> > Behind the xdm login window I only have the grey tweedy background of raw X.
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 has the required /usr/X11R6/bin/xbanner.
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xbanner exists, as does
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XBanner
> > but when I try to run xbanner from a root prompt, I am told that it can't
> > access display "".
> >
> > I had all this working under bo.
>
> What was the format of the command string you used to try to run
> xbanner from the commmand line?  I had a bit of trouble figuring out
> the proper format for the display.  I used "-display :0" to get it to
> work for me.
> --
> Jeff Coppock          Systems Engineer

Thanks, Jeff.  I tried that without luck.  With the xdm login screen on
VT7, I logged in as root on VT1 and did what you suggested.  I got
Xlib: client is not authorized to connect to server

I logged in as myself on VT2 and tried to do "xhost localhost".  I got
xhost: unable to open display ""
I did "export DISPLAY=":0.0" and then "xhost localhost".  That was OK
but trying to start xbanner still gave the same error.

Regards

Tom
--
Internet:       tbhk@DSNra.JPL.NASA.gov (137.79.89.31)
SnailMail:      Jet Propulsion Lab 169-506, Pasadena, CA 91109