Re: problems with fvwm

Larry Smith wrote:
> In answer to:
>
> --- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

>> To Larry, Karsten's (I believe - I longer have that message)
>> comment means: 1) that you should put your replies below the text
>> to which you're replying 2) Don't include an entire quote if
>> trimming it down to only the relevant parts is sufficient 3) Try to
>> make sure the quotes are "bylined".
>>
>> Karsten is not trying to be rude; he just seems that way sometimes
>> ;-) Rather, he's trying to encourage good list netiquette so it
>> makes it easier on everyone who's trying to follow the thread. If
>> you had sent email in HTML, I'm sure he would have added that also;
>> Only post messages using plain text.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> This all seems to imply that Karsten's time is extrodinarily
> valuable, and cannot, in any way, be wasted.  We should all be so
> fortunate that our preferential whims are honored by all we
> communicate with, so that none of our time is wasted.

No, not just Karsten's time. Sometimes it's the time of the person who's having to pay hard-earned money for every minute spent on line. Sometimes it the time of the person who's desperately needing an answer and can't follow the GOTO-like spaghetti thread of posts and winds up missing a deadline. Sometimes it's the time of a person who could contribute that piece of code that "would make the whole world sing" if he could just figure out who wrote that particular posting.

It's not a matter of making things easier on Karsten. It's a matter of proper net etiquette. Karsten is just the one who pointed it out (with a polite "Please" at that). It seems you've taken offense at being guided down the road toward being a good net citizen (as regards to public email lists). I'm sure no offense was meant. I've made plenty of blunders on this list, and have been royally flamed as a result. But you get up, brush off the ashes, and keep plodding on. You're obviously quite intelligent, and we'd love to have you hang around on the list, but please remember that we're a community, and in a community there are certain expectations for behaviour. Karsten was just pointing out some of those expectation.

Not meaning to be offensive,
Kent