Re: problems with fvwm

In answer to:

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Larry Smith wrote:
> >

> >>Please tell me what the last comment in this chain
> >>(end of message) is all about?
> >>

> >[...]
> >

> >>*************** What's this all about ???

> goes
> >>>

> >Well, in my view, the first bit (postfix, don't
> prefix) is optional; the
> >second bit (quote what's relevant and attribute
> accurately) is not.
> >
> >fwiw
> >
> >Patrick
> >

> In my view, prefix is acceptable only on the first
> reply, and only if
> the reply-er is confident there won't be any further
> replies. Otherwise,
> when someone comes in in the middle of a
> conversation, it's very hard to
> figure out what's going on.
>
> To Larry, Karsten's (I believe - I longer have that
> message) comment means:
> 1) that you should put your replies below the text
> to which you're replying
> 2) Don't include an entire quote if trimming it down
> to only the
> relevant parts is sufficient
> 3) Try to make sure the quotes are "bylined".
>
> Karsten is not trying to be rude; he just seems that
> way sometimes ;-)
>  Rather, he's trying to encourage good list
> netiquette so it makes it
> easier on everyone who's trying to follow the
> thread. If you had sent
> email in HTML, I'm sure he would have added that
> also; Only post
> messages using plain text.
>
> Kent

This all seems to imply that Karsten's time is
extrodinarily valuable, and cannot, in any way, be
wasted.  We should all be so fortunate that our
preferential whims are honored by all we communicate
with, so that none of our time is wasted.

Having been a teacher, I find that if you choose to
expend effort to help others who have questions,
nit-picking about form is in itself a monumental waste
of time, of no value to the person you intend to help.