Re: j2skd1.4.0beta-i386.rpm to deb; will it work ?

> > Well is that the exact location of the executable? Are you sure
> > everything is installed in /usr/java ?
> >
> Exact location is /usr/java/j2sdk/bin & I am typing the scommand from
> same directory; still I get command not found error. I am not sure
> what u mean by everything, but in java directory there are
> bin,demo,lib,jre
> directories & they do contain whatever is expected of them.
> Sachin

Where are the javac/jar/java/javadoc/... executables located?
Is it nog /usr/java/bin/ or /usr/java/j2sdk/bin ?

The fact that you can't run them when you are in the same directory
could mean that you haven't got the current directory in you path.

E.g. if /usr/java/bin/ has the neede files, go to that directory (cd
/usr/java/bin/) and type "./javac testfile.java" (without quotes).

That must do the job.  If you can't execute it check the permisions
(ls -al directory), so that any user can execute it.

Now when you could execute it, type this (if /usr/java/bin/ is the
corrrect directory, and if you are using the bash shell):

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/bin
echo $PATH

Afhter the echo you should see that your path now contains the correct
directory of the java executabeles.

Now go to your home directory, and try just type javac, this shouls
work.

Now correct the path in /home/you/.bashrc to the correct path (just
adding the correct bit) so you don't have to export everything
everytime you fire up a shell.

Rudy

--
Rudy Gevaert - info@webworm.org  - http://www.webworm.org
keyserverID=24DC49C6 -  http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/glms

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
 - Mark Twain (1835-1910)