Re: Printing in Debian: no results

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 15:35, S. C. Linnenbringer wrote:
> I'm having a tough time setting up printing in Debian. I have a cheap Lexmark
> Z22, and I am using CUPS to set it up. I have configured the printer, and the
> CUPS web interface states that "lp" is idle and accepting jobs, but whenever
> I send a test page the printer hangs and doesn't respond as if nothing is
> being sent. Since I have very little knowledge of setting up a printer in
> Linux, I don't understand where to start troubleshooting this. Sorry for the
> lack of detail.
>
> My printer is connected via a parallel port and I am running woody 3.0r0.
> What should I be looking for?

- Stock kernel or rolled your own?
- What do you see
   - when you do "cat /proc/ioports|grep parport"?
   - in /var/log/dmesg?  Search for the word parport.

Don't expect to see anything in /proc/interrupts!  This confused
me for a week, until some kind soul told me that you'll only
see parport connected to IRQ7 when you are actually printing...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net            |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                             |
| I can't make you have an abortion, but you can *make* me pay   |
| child support for 18 years?  However, if I want the child      |
| (and all the expenses that entails) for the *rest*of*my*life*, |
| and you don't want it for 9 months, tough luck???              |