Printing in Debian: no results

I'm having a tough time setting up printing in Debian. I have a cheap Lexmark
Z22, and I am using CUPS to set it up. I have configured the printer, and the
CUPS web interface states that "lp" is idle and accepting jobs, but whenever
I send a test page the printer hangs and doesn't respond as if nothing is
being sent. Since I have very little knowledge of setting up a printer in
Linux, I don't understand where to start troubleshooting this. Sorry for the
lack of detail.

My printer is connected via a parallel port and I am running woody 3.0r0.
What should I be looking for?

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer
sl.at.eskimo.com