Re: Problems with cdparanoia

Steve Juranich <sjuranic@crow.ee.washington.edu> writes:
> I can't get cdparanoia to rip any tracks.  I have both my DVD and
> CD-RW under scsi emulation.  Here's the output from 'cdrecord
> -scanbus':

(Contrary to what other people have been saying, I don't think there's
any real problem with this, since it's more consistent and it's the
obvious thing to do if you want the CD burner to work.)

> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
> (C) 2001 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus
>
> Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
>
> Checking /dev/sr0 for cdrom...
> 	Testing /dev/sr0 for cooked ioctl() interface
> 		/dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
> 	Testing /dev/sr0 for SCSI interface
> 		No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

The very last line is the one that's going to cause you problems; the
SCSI driver has two parts, and the "generic device" driver is rarely
used but cdparanoia happens to want it.  Try running 'modprobe sg' as
root and retrying cdparanoia.  If you're in devfs land, this should
also cause /dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1 to appear.

	-- Abra Mitchell