Re: Problems with cdparanoia

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:36:36PM -0700, Steve Juranich wrote:
> So what does this mean "not a cooked ioctl CDROM" and how do I fix it?

Cooked ioctl, is, AFAIK, the protocol cdparanoia uses to communicate
with IDE drives; since you're running your drives under SCSI emulation,
it's quite normal that this does not work.

It should, ideally, then
move onto trying the SCSI interfaces to control the drive, but it isn't
because you don't have the required priveleges.  You need to do one of
the following:

1) Add yourself to the (IIRC) 'disk' group, which owns /dev/sg0.  Be
   aware that this also grants you write access to every partition on
   the machine, allowing you to both bypass permissions, and trash disks
   as regular user.
2) Run cdparanoia as root.  You can ease the pain of this by using
   sudo(8), a tool you want to get familiar with anyway:)
3) Let anyone write to the generic SCSI devices (/dev/sgx), by 'chmod o+w
   /dev/sg?'.  This is not a good idea on a multiuser system, but if
   it's just your machine, you probably don't care.
4) You can create a new 'scsi' group, add yourself to it, and it give it
   write access to the /dev/sg? devices.  I'd say it's the best option,
   if you can be bothered.

I've actually got the same problem here, but I'm using DevFS and I can't
quite figure out the right /etc/devfsd/confi.d/scsi incantation to make
it stick.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

-rob