Re: Problems with cdparanoia

Once upon a time Steve Juranich said...
> > Why exactly do you have your DVD drive under scsi emulation?  Unless
> > it's a DVD?R, it shouldn't be necessary/useful unless I am mistaken...
>
> Well, this is a little embarrassing, but mainly because I never have figured
> out how to make it NOT be under scsi emulation.

Four ways, depending on whether or not various modules are compiled into
the kernel or as run-time loaded modules.

You can say either "hd?=scsi" or "ignore=hd?". The first form is used by
the IDE module (CONFIG_IDE). The second is used by the ide-cd module
(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD). It does not matter which of these you use.

If they are built into the kernel (not as modules), then you need to add
the string to your boot loader config (LILO: append="...").

For module use, you need to have a line in /etc/modules.conf (but dont
add it directly to there, see update-modules(8)).

If IDE is a module (ide-mod.o) you need the line:
  options ide-mod hd?=scsi

If ide-cd is a module (ide-cd.o) you need the line:
  options ide-cd ignore=hd?

Any drives you dont specify as "scsi" or "ignore" should be picked up by
ide-cd when loaded and appear as IDE cdroms (/dev/hd?), not scsi
(/dev/scd?, /dev/sg?).

NOTE: I know the above by looking at the kernel source. The only case I
have direct experience with is the ide-cd module case (ignore=hdc,hdd).

All that said, you should still be able to rip through ide-scsi anyway.
The error message you had suggested that it could not access /dev/sg?.
Ensure the permissions on these files (sg0, sg1) are appropriate. I have
mode rw-rw---- (660), owner=root, group=audio (though I guess that
group=cdrom would be more appropriate).