Re: List postings as attachments

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 14:21, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > Why do some list postings arrive as attachments? Is this
> > dependent on the mail client used to read list mail?
> >
> > Is there any way to prevent this, and have all messages
> > arrive in the message body?
>
> For what it's worth (and I use OE to read this list at work),
> the original message from David De Graff showed up with no
> attachments. Shouldn't be a surprise though as it was sent
> with OE, read by OE, and no PGP used.
>
> -- Paul Johnson's message shows up normally but has one
>
> -- Adrian von Bidder's message was the "pain in the ass"
> kind... :-) Both the message text and a signature.asc file
> showed up as attachments.
>
> -- Karsten M Self replied to a message in a different thread
> and his is also the "pain in the ass" kind. It's different
> than Adrian's though. It consisted of a message text
> attachment and a 'ATT00106.dat' attachment.

Lemme see:

Paul Johnson:

And the message is just 'old-style' inline signed msg. Funny OE shows
the message as an attachment at all, as it is really not an attachment.
The Content-Disposition header with filename argument on the MIME
top-level is probably causing this.

Me:

Yes, I'm aware of the problem. No, I won't do anything about it; (i)
inline signed mails have their own problems, too (attachments are not
signed, for instance), and evolution does not support inline signed
mails. MIME is the way to go, it's a relatively clean solution.

Karsten:

This is basically the same. Evolution adds a filename=signature.asc
parameter to the signature MIME part, whereas Mutt apparently does not
(in Karsten's setup), so OE generates its own filename.

> So, would everyone please re-configure their setup to function
> like Paul Johnson's does ?? :-) Paul, care to share your setup
> for others to see ?? Of course, I don't expect anyone to
> change their "my setup ain't broken, yours is" mail program
> for us lowly M$ Outlook and Outlook Express users...

Of course I won't change my setup for you. I wouldn't even if I would
benefit, too. ;-)

Seriously: I don't want to change my mailer right now. I *do* want to
sign my mail. Evolution and OE just don't interwork wrt to signed mail,
there is no possibility to fix the problem. That it's really OE's fault
is not important for users, I agree to that. Most of my not-so-technical
collegues use OE and I'd think they have this problem. I'm amazed - or
really horrified - that I only did get 1 complaint. Shows what people
are ready to live with (and I don't mean just MS Software users here).

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                         http://fortytwo.ch/gpg