Re: dpkg fails with: "Processing was halted because there were to many errors"

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 12:09:06AM -0400, Bruce wrote:
> Eventually (after several nights of getting absolutely nowhere) I figured I
> should remove X altogether and then start again with a clean system. Of
> course, I wasn't paying attention to the battery, and 1/2 way through my
> "apt-get remove xserver-xfree86 xlibs", the battery dies. Oops.
>
> Three manual fsck /dev/hdax later, I was back at my command line prompt. I
> then tried to pick up where I had left off in removing X. Unfortunately,
> apt-get won't let me remove anything anymore; it always ends with
>
> 	dpkg: error processing nowebm (--remove):
> 	 files list file for package 'libarts1-qt' is missing final newline

That means that /var/lib/dpkg/info/libarts1-qt.list is corrupt, which is
plausible enough if you had a nasty crash. Your best bet is to delete
the contents of that file (but not the file itself), and then to
reinstall libarts1-qt by downloading it and then using 'dpkg -i'. That
should get you up and running again.

> At this point, it only makes sense to me to just purge the whole shooting
> match and do a brand new install of Woody. But I would be happy to be proven
> wrong.

All dpkg's databases are plain text files, so it's usually relatively
easy to recover from even quite fatal errors if you know which file to
edit and how.