Re: network unreachable after kernel build

scripsit George Khoury:
> I installed woody with the 2.2.20-idepci kernel last week, and yesterday
> I built 2.4.18 from source using kernel-package. Now the network is
> unreachable, even in ping. Honestly I have no idea what is going on.
> Here's why. When I run dmesg, I get (only including network card items
> for brevity):
>
> natsemi.c:v1.07 1/9/2001  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
> http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html
> (unofficial 2.4.x kernel port, version 1.07+LK1.0.14, Nov 27, 2001
> Jeff Garzik, Tjeerd Mulder)
> eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xe0800000, 00:02:e3:16:ff:59, IRQ 5.
> eth0: link up.
> eth0: Setting full-duplex based on negotiated link capability.
[snip]
> I got the same output with the old kernel, except eth0 had an IP
> address. One major difference in the kernels is that I built in the
> network card driver -- does this cause problems?  Any help is greatly
> appreciated.

I've got a box with the NatSemi chipset, too.  With the stock Woody 2.2
kernel, I get the same result -- if I can get eth0 up, there's no IP
address and no network connection.  Normally, the dh-client just hangs.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul