Re: ssh / putty question

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 11:25:21AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Benedict Verheyen <linux4bene@pandora.be> [2002-08-04 15:46:44 +0200]:
> > Also, Putty doesn't seem to work (at least here) with type "rsa" keys.
>
> I believe putty only works with DSA keys and not RSA keys.  Until the
> RSA patent expired many programs used alternate methods to avoid the
> US patent issues.  That patent is expired now and no reason to avoid
> RSA today.  However, putty.exe predates that and uses DSA keys.

The PuTTY author told me recently that PuTTY does use RSA keys. In fact,
he avoided DSA for some time due to concerns (since relieved, I think)
about whether it was possible to implement it securely.

See for example:

  http://lists.tartarus.org/pipermail/putty-announce/2000/000002.html

I can't help with the original problem though ...