Re: Network configuration file

This one time, at band camp, Russell said:

> Current books on linux networking don't mention
> things on implicit loopbacks. It's really annoying.
> I'd like to get an answer: (A)the books are now wrong, or
> (B)ifupdown isn't adding a loopback (127.0.0.0) route when
> it should.

If you see an entry for lo come up from ifconfig, it's being added at
boot time.  To make sure it's working, try telnet localhost 25 without
an external network connection.  If it succeeds, it's routing
successfully over lo.  I think the problem is in route's reading of the
kernel table, rather than in the actual kernel table.

HTH,
Steve
--
New York... when civilization falls apart, remember, we were way ahead of you.
- David Letterman