Re: IBM Hard disk failures (WasRe: Any brutal hard drive burn-in programs?)

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls said:

> My question is simple:  Would the majority of users here still avoid IBM
> drives, or was this a foul quirk of a single bad line of drives from IBM?
> My next question would be:  What has/is IBM doing about this bad PR?

IBM isn't doing anything, they are in the process of selling their
hard disk manufacturing arm to Hitachi I think. They lost something
like $500mil on it in the past year.

IBM did try to pull a fast one not long ago by saying their new
120GXP drives were only spec'd to run something like 14hours a day,
at which point you should shut the computer off. One of my co workers
said they later backed off from that claim. I also read they also
tried to put that 14hour limit on all of their IDE drives saying that
they shouldn't be used for anything but basic desktops.

So I took my business to maxtor, since they personally sell Network
Attached Storage devices with their IDE disks I am sure they intend
that their disks are suitable for low end servers ..the result
is I've had 2 maxtor drives go bad on me since last october(out of
about 25), which is far less then I had with IBM ..

IBM drives were great for me till they moved everything to 7200rpm.
my 'out-of-my-ass' theory is IBM was getting spanked in benchmarks
by other vendors so they just turned up the spindle speed on 5400rpm
disks to 7200rpm hoping for the best, and many died ..I had many
5400rpm ibm drives that worked great.

nate

oh! and there's that pesky classaction lawsuit against them
for the 75GXP drives of which I am a proud member. I love IBM,
but I want them to own up to this problem. I can't count how
many hours I've spent rebuilding systems from the ~17 drives I
have had fail. 3 of my big servers which have 220GB of space
it can take about an hour just to remove a disk. real PITA.