Re: Network configuration file

Johan Ehnberg wrote:

> Russell wrote:
> > Johan Ehnberg wrote:

> > I found that "dpkg-reconfigure etherconf" fills the "interface" file.
> > However, even tho there's entries for "iface lo inet loopback", this
> > loopback (127.0.0.0) doesn't appear when i type "route -nv" (after
> > restarting the pc). Is there an easy way to bypass the 'interface'
> > method for bootup? Are the old conventional files such as
> > /etc/init.d/network still used?
>
> Route -nv need not show a route for lo. That's the default and should
> work fine. Try ifconfig to see if lo is working.
>
> Bypassing is possible, but I really don't think that's a good idea, as
> you get some extra protection for free :) if you use the default script.
>
> The way debian loads the network during startup is:
>
> Init starts, and looks for /etc/rcS.d/(everything) and finds
> S40networking (symlink to /etc/init.d/networking).
> It then knows to run '/etc/init.d/networking restart'.
> 'networking' runs ifup.
> ifup reads /etc/networking/interfaces, and starts all interfaces
> specified as 'auto'.

I came to the same conclusion tracing thru those startup scripts.
It sure makes things confusing for a new user with old books that
refer to unused files that still come with a new installation.

> Your interfaces file looks ok btw. What is it that you still need to
> configure?

I'm just configuring to connect to ethernet with two other
computers. I was trying to get the route table to agree with
the books. When i delete the loopback:

auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback    <<< delete this line (loopback route)

iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.0.3
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.0.1

Then i still get the same output from "route -nv". Is the
loopback really implemented?