Date sent: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:47:02 +0100
From: Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
To: Brian Swale <bj@caverock.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Xfree86 and Knoppix

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:09:20PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Xfree86 takes control right from the time Debian boots - before I can
> enter my user-name and password.

Yes, this is quite normal. Try 'linux init=/bin/sh' at the LILO prompt
to boot into nothing but a shell, then 'mv /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm
/etc/rc2.d/s99xdm' (replacing xdm with whatever display manager is in
use). That will disable the display manager.

> Sometimes it lets me enter them under its screen; then it accepts no
> other command. The mouse is not visible.

I'm still surprised that Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't switch to a virtual
console. Can you just confirm for me that you've tried that?

--
Colin Watson