Squid speed in potato(2.2.STABLE5)

Does squid just need unholy amounts of cpu and disk space, or is there an
artificial speed brake on each connection?

System is a Celeron 333, 96 meg memory, dedicated 40 gig Quantum AS hard
drive.

Squid tops out at around 250kps on a single transfer, 500kps if you get
two going, etc.

I had a Pentium II/266, with sharing a Western Digital 6.4, before
swapping in the new cpu and hard drive(some may remember my complaints
about a drive dying merely hours after being installed) and the top speed
per connection was the same.

Even scp w/blowfish encryption can haul over a meg per second on this
machine, why is squid so slow?  Machine doesn't appear to use even a tiny
fraction of cpu, and disk activity is nearly nil.(cached in ram)

I looked through the /etc/squid.conf file, and also on google, didn't see
any applicable tuning tips.

Mike