Re: Starting programs in X

Once upon a time Mike Dresser said...
> I want to start X, and have it load rdesktop(windows:TS application)
> without having to install xbase-clients, and the 16 meg of other stuff
> that goes along with it.
>
> with startx, i just put rdesktop in my .xinitrc, and it calls that up full
> screen, and I'm all set.
>
> without installing xbase-clients, I don't have a startx, so I can't use
> that method.
>
> What am I supposed to do?

You can start X directly. Check the man pages for Xserver(1) and
XFree86(1x). You may want to have a look at startx and xinit to see what
setting up they do that you'll be missing. You may want to do some of
that manually.

For instance, I can start another copy of X now by running ("$ " is the
prompt):

$ X :1

This starts another copy of X on display :1.0. I can now run a program
on this X server by giving it the correct display:

$ DISPLAY=:1 xterm

Of course, if you are running only one server, you can leave off the :1
of the X command. It will default to :0.

--
Cameron Hutchison (camh+dl@xdna.net) | Onward To Mars