Re: when is kernel 2.4.19 likely to be in unstable?

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:10:51PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 02:55:54AM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> > >
> > > When it happens.  In the mean time, if you have to be all bleeding
> > > edge (as I do), just do the traditional method from tarball.  Takes
> > > more work, but it'll get you there.
> >
> > 	If I want a bleeding edge kernel, I typically do a uupdate from
>                                                            ^^^^^^^
>                                                            can you
>                                                            elaborate?
>
> Do you mean apply patches onto Debian kernel?

	Er... not quite.  uupdate is in the "devscripts" package, and is
part of a Debian maintainers toolset.  I presume that you have used
"kernel-package" so that your existing kernel source has a "debian"
directory.  You `chdir /usr/src/kernel-source-foo` and run `uupdate -u
../linux.tar.gz` in order to merge the Debian kernel tree with the
"official" one.

	You can find more information in the Debian New Maintainer's
Guide.

> > the most recent kernel-source-* tree in Debian.  This gives me all the
> > nice bug fixes that haven't QUITE made it into whatever tarball I've
> > got.
>
> I do not see target uupdate in Makefile nor debian/rules

	Right.  It's not a make target; it's a program.

Simon