Re: Starting programs in X

> > Oh, I could do that or something similar, yes.  But then the first time
> > xbase-clients gets updated and startx doesn't, who knows what will happen
> > :)
>
> If you put the package on 'hold', nothing at all.

And if there's a security fix in xbase-clients? :)  startx calls xinit,
(which happens to be packaged in xbase-clients as well), so I'd have to
keep that up to date as well, and who knows what else is called.

I just gave in, and installed xbase-clients, another 16 meg of stuff won't
kill me.  I've got a basic install with X in 93 meg now.  X starts up in
under 2 seconds, over the 100mbit network, on a celeron 533, so that's
plenty fast enough.

Mike Dresser