strange intermitent problem with accent on multi gnome terminal

Hi,

I have my Debian  3.0/Gnome 1.4 configured to get portuguese accented
characters, but when I'm using multi gnome terminal and I create a new
window with control+F1+n, I don't get accents in this window untill I
type any character on one of the previus windows or on another x
terminal like xterm or rxvt. I'd like to know if anybody that uses
accented characters can repeat this multi gnome terminal behaviour.
Thanks,

--