Re: "downgrade" to stable

* nuxer@free.fr (nuxer@free.fr) [020807 05:16]:
> Before the woody release, I was using testing and unstable.
> I did a few apt-get upgrade even once woody was released as stable.
> Now, I'd like to remove the testing+unstable packages I got.
>
> So, as stated in apt howto, I created /etc/apt/apt.conf :
> ---
> APT::Default-Release "stable";
> ---
>
> And /etc/apt/preferences :
> ---
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 1001
> ---
>
> But when I issue an "apt-get dist-upgrade", it still fetch packages
> from testing and unstable.

It seems like with that preference in place it should downgrade packages
whose testing/unstable versions are in use and also for which a version
exists in stable.  For a package not found in stable, there's nothing to
downgrade to, so the testing/unstable version will stay.

Also, this may be silly, but I have to ask: did you "apt-get update"?

> ( I leave testing+unstable in my sources.list as I may want to "apt-get -t
> testing package". Btw, is "apt-get package/testing" the same ?)

apt-get install package/testing

requests the testing version of a specific package, honoring your other
preferences about which distro to choose extra packages from.

apt-get -t testing install package

sets testing as the default release for the current operation, meaning
depended-upon packages will be chosen from testing as well.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/