Re: Is there an apt-get install log?

Jeff wrote:

Is there a log anywhere that has a list of packages installed and
their install dates?
If not, what is a good way to completely back out of a package and
all the installed dependencies?

The only way I know of to do this is to use "apt-cache show <package>"
to see what the dependancies are for a package and then list them all
in a purge command string.  That will remove the package and purge all
the config files and directories associated with it.  For example:

# apt-get remove --purge package1 package2 package3

will purge all three packages and in the right order since package1
depends on package2, and package2 depends on package 3.

If "apt-cache show" lists libc as a dependency should I remove it? No.
I don't want to delete something that was installed previously for another purpose. It may be OK to do that on a single user PC but not on a multi-user server. I think I might wrap "apt-get" in a script that tee's and parses the output. Or I can run nightly diffs on "dpkg --list" output to at least see what's installed with a daily granularity. Anyone have other ideas?

Rich