Re: ssh /gnupg passwords storage

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 11:20, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

> Same question could go for gnugp. I've only tested this with WinPT on my win machine at work. I suppose that once the keypair is generated, it would be safer to move the private key to another medium or do you leave the pair on the win 'puter.

I put my .gnupg directory on a usbdrive (Trek ThumbDrive).  I added this
to /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda        /mnt/trek       vfat    user,noauto,sync,umask=0077
0      0

I then set up a symlink from $HOME/.gnupg to /mnt/trek/.gnupg.  Then all
I need to do is put the usbdrive in and mount and I can decrypt.
Decryption therefore is not possible without the usbdrive.  gpg private
keys really shouldn't be on your hard disk, since decrypting an
encrypted file is possible if you have the private key (ie without the
password) AFAIK.  I put the usbdrive on my keychain, and I liken it to
being the 'key' for my computer (pun totally intended).

Jamie Strandboge