Re: Using a phone card with a modem

Paul,

* Paul Winkler <pwink@attglobal.net> [2002-Aug-06 09:58 AKDT]:
> This works fine for me with the ATT prepaid phone card -
> use the comma for ~ 2 second delay.  This is my chat script -
>
>  ""     ATZ
>  OK     ATM1L3S10=1
>  TIMEOUT 120
>  REPORT /usr/local/chat-log.txt
>  SAY "Dialing Web Site\n"
>  OK  ATDTXXXXXXXXXXX,,,1,,PPPPPPPPPPPP,,,,,1,,NNNNNNNNNN
>  CONNECT

Thank you very much!  I just looked at my prepaid card and it's also an
ATT card that seems to follow exactly the procedure you mention.  I'll
give it a try tonight (from home) and see if that works.

I didn't know about using a ',' for a delay.  I looked up an old Hayes
modem manual and it explains:

    , - Delay Processing of Next Character

    The comma (,) dial modifier in a dial string causes the modem to
    pause before processing the next character or symbol in the command
    line. The duration of the pause is determined by the value held in
    register S8.  The comma is frequently inserted after the 9 (digit
    generally used to gain outside access from a PBX) to allow
    sufficient time for the dial tone to occur before the modem dials
    the telephone number.

Dunno how you set the S8 register, but presumably this is set to
something standard like 2 seconds on most modems.

Based on reading this manual it looks like I could even use something
manual like minicom to connect by doing:

    ATDTXXXXXXXXX;
    OK
    ATDT1;
    OK
    ATDTPPPPPPPPP;

etc.  The ';' at the end of the line tells the modem to stop without
hanging up after the command is complete.

Thanks again!

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
IS Professional, Level 4          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu