Re: Using a phone card with a modem

I use a phone card with my modem from time to time.

Usually it is while traveling, but the latest use of it came when I returned home from a long trip to find that my dialup service had been discontinued. It seems that the ISP, Adelphia, had just declared bankrupcy amid gross financial irregularities. A little while later, several members of Adelphia's founding family (including a 77 year old man) as well as two Adelphia execs were arrested for milking the company of hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars.

At the same time, my long distance got disconnected because I didn't pay the bill during my long trip. What I did until I got new service & paid my AT&T bill was dial from the U.S. to Canada to access the ISP I set up for my use during my frequent visits there.

Anyway, you can put a one-second pause in a dial sequence with a comma, like this:

ATDT18005556666,,,,123456789,,,,408555666

To get it set up, make a calling card call with an ordinary phone while watching the second hand on a watch to get the times for the pauses. You will want to add a second or two to account for the variabilities of the delays.

It would be very helpful to test you dial script while you are still at home, rather than on the road where you will be pressed for time and lacking a normal net connection on which you can ask for help. It's also very helpful if you use a modem that provides sound so you can hear what's going on.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com

    "I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak
     out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared,
     be in doubt, but don't be gagged."
     -- John J. Chapman, "Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations"
        http://www.goingware.com/reputation/