Re: BEST modem difficulties

I had similar problems.  I solved it by editing the file:
/etc/chatscripts/provider and changing the modeminit section shown
below to:

# This chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.10.
# Please do not delete any of the comments.  Pppconfig needs them.
#
# ispauth PAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO
DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
# modeminit
'' 'ATZ' OK ATZ OK ATM0

<snip>

Note:  The ATM0 turns off the sound.  By sending the ATZ sequence a
couple of times seemed to reset the modem into a useable state so that
it could then proceed with the dialing.  You can also add in the
additional ATZ OK via pppconfig.  I just found it easier to edit the
file while I was playing around with it.

John Schmidt