Re: BEST modem difficulties

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:10:31AM -0600, John Schmidt wrote:

My reply is actualy to Larry Smith, but this is only part of thread I
have to reply to.

Each modem is controled through Hayes command set and S-registers.
ATZ string resets modem to one of several setups (used to be only one).
AT - Attention command for modem. When new from factory command used was
 AT&F&W so new modem has bouth memories set to same factory settings.

AT&F resets modem to so called factory defaults. Copies Factory
memory content to Working memory content. These are usualy
suitable for country where modem is manufactured. However no one bothers
set them to defaults suitable for use with different requirements.

ATZ command resets modem using always Working memory(user setup), newer
factory.

In my case while using modem with windows it always worked. Moment I
started to use it with Linux it didn't. Windows on modem hangup always
reset the modem to factory defaults which were not suitable for my
country. It almost seems on purpose as for dialing it used correct
commands to dial out. Why reset it to what does not work?

(Frequency, tone duration spacing of tones for various countries varies
Since one has no specifications it is hard to set S registers to correct
values for detection of tones to work. Also one needs manual for his
modem, to know which S register is used for what.)

Modem actualy waited for dial tone and through present it was not
identified as such. Thus modem would not start to dial out. On my modem
code 	X0 -use basic result codes
	X1 - use extended codes
	X2 -  ditto		+ enable Dial Tone detection
	X3 -  ditto		+ enable Busy signal detection
	X4 -  ditto		+ enable bouth above

Using ATX1Q0&W  solved my problem. I have managed to obtain
documentation for my modem on manufacturers web site. Few more codes one
needs to actualy work with modem:

Q0 - Enable result codes
Q1 - Disable result codes
V0 - Result codes as digits
V1 - Result codes as English words
M0 - Speaker always OFF
M1 - Speaker on until carier detect
M2 - Speaker always ON
L0 - Volume medium
L1 -   "     Low
L2 -   "    Medium
L3 -   "    High
H0 - On hook (hang up)
H1 - Off hook (connects)
E0 - Disable character echo
E1 - Enable character echo
&  - Extended commands
\  - Extended commands
&F - Restore factory defaults
&W - Store user defaults
&Z0-3=x Store up to four phone numbers x being string up to 40 char long

Sugested first time init string ATQ0V1M1L0E1&W this should reply with OK
then changing it to ATZ should already reset to the same state as if
first string was entered. Pity on many modems it is not possible to actualy
print out this setting to terminal and see if retained or not.

Not all manufacturers use same command for same things so what may work
with one modem does not have to work with other. Thoe You may try it.
If it stop working again eighter some program reseting modem back to
factory setting or memory is failing.

Acording to manual to my modem AT?? should list current parameters
settings. But I have found out other modems just reply with ERROR.

I have used minicom (program ,package) as this program allowed
me to write command strings directly to modem from terminal window and
enabling  Echo characters see what I'm sending to modem as well as
modems responses. Afterwards I have left init strings that has worked
for me stored with this program.

Some time's first program used with modem through initialization string
set it corectly and if such program use &W in this string, new setup is
saved within modem as user setup. There is special memory used which is
capable to store this even when not under power (modem). Also ATZ string
then always resets modem to user setup unles AT&F is used again.

Acording to manufacturers only about 100k repeated writes to this memory
cause it to loose this ability to retain it. Dialing 5 times daily and
using such init string should hold it in modem 54 years.

This actualy to me means that AT&W string should newer be left in
initialization strings as each use of it repeatedly writes to this
memory thus destroing it. I play it safe as not all memories are equal
some may fail sooner, and I have took this info as warning and use AT&W
only when actualy needed, ie setting my defaults.