Re: BEST modem difficulties

On Saturday 03 August 2002 09:38 am, Larry Smith wrote:
> I have a BEST 56K modem in my Debian system.  It works
> fine in making and maintaining a connection.
>
> However, it often doesn't hangup properly.  The line
> will clear so you can use a phone, but next time you
> try to connect with the modem, it's in a
> non-functional state.  It either returns nothing when
> the dialer tries to start it, or returns ERROR instead
> of OK.
>
> I've tried setting it up with wvdial and with the
> pppconfig utility and then using pon and poff.
> Failure rate is about 1 out of 4 times  hanging up.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hopefully someone else can give more specific information, but here's a
general idea. Put a script in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d that sends a reset to
your modem. (The /etc/ppp/ip-down script runs when the modem connection
is shut down, and this script runs the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d.)

I'm not sure what the script would look like; I'm not sure this is even
the best way to go about solving  your problem. It's just food for
thought.

Kent