BEST modem difficulties

I have a BEST 56K modem in my Debian system.  It works
fine in making and maintaining a connection.

However, it often doesn't hangup properly.  The line
will clear so you can use a phone, but next time you
try to connect with the modem, it's in a
non-functional state.  It either returns nothing when
the dialer tries to start it, or returns ERROR instead
of OK.

I've tried setting it up with wvdial and with the
pppconfig utility and then using pon and poff.
Failure rate is about 1 out of 4 times  hanging up.

Any suggestions?