Re: Oops. 1 Gig Recommendation 2nd try.

<quote who="Richard Flood">

> 1)  I used the CDs for Mandrake 8.0 because I had them handy.  I
> haven't acquired the Debian disks yet.  I don't have a good
> understanding of the comparison of these, but I had serious
> trouble installing the necessary packages to accomplish my goal.   Does
> Debian require less overhead to run X, or am I just stuck
> with a console box?

how did you install the machine? from what i hear mandrake has
a "minimal" install that takes up a mere 60-80MB. from there you
can add packages to support the rest of the system.

> Any guidance on how to get the programming tools, emacs editor,
> and X on the same box without clogging up all 1 GB?  I suspect the
> MAndrake packages were just a bit heavy and perhaps Debian's or
> someone else's would be more petite.

should be pretty easy if your not using gnome or kde, those I think
take up quite a bit of space, but even with them it should still
be possible. i have a laptop with 12GB, and excluding /home and
/usr/local i am using just over 1GB and I have a TON of stuff installed,
lots of devel stuff, no emacs(never used emacs), X, afterstep,
mozilla, netscape, opera..tons.. a little over 450 packages.

if your using debian, start with a minimal install, that is don't
install anything but the base. get the system working then use
apt-get to install the individual packages that you want. you
can speed up the process by installing higher level packages such
as if you wanted X and planned to use afterstep, apt-get install
afterstep and that should install a bunch of the X software as
well(not all of it though).

i would think you can run it in under 500MB pretty easily of
course it depends on how much devel stuff you want

nate