Oops. 1 Gig Recommendation 2nd try.

Sorry about the premature send.  Shall I continue?

Anyway, I am attempting to put Linux on a little 1 Gig harddrive
for a surplus laptop I had laying about.  Thanks to the helpful
installing actual packages on the drive.  The method I chose was
to buy a $15 connector to let me install the drive in my desktop
machine which has a CD-ROM.  A couple of problems have arisen,
however.

System: NEC Versa 4230  (Pentium 133)
RAM: 16MB
Disk: 1 GB
Drives: Floppy only
Network/Modem: None

Purpose for this machine:  I want to create and run shell and C
programs as taught by "Linux Programming" by Wrox press.  This
teaches shell programming, C/C++ programming, and Tk/Tcl

1)  I used the CDs for Mandrake 8.0 because I had them handy.  I
haven't acquired the Debian disks yet.  I don't have a good
understanding of the comparison of these, but I had serious
trouble installing the necessary packages to accomplish my goal.
Does Debian require less overhead to run X, or am I just stuck
with a console box?

2)  When I moved the HD back to the laptop, it canceled out a lot
of stuff because Mandrake's install program sensed all the
architecture of my desktop machine (Dual processor slot, USB, 256M
Ram, good Video card, etc.)  When it came up in X, the screen was
truncated and the system wouldn't come all the way up.  Possible
cause: I didn't create a swap partition because I didn't have
enough space for all the files.

Any guidance on how to get the programming tools, emacs editor,
and X on the same box without clogging up all 1 GB?  I suspect the
MAndrake packages were just a bit heavy and perhaps Debian's or
someone else's would be more petite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RF