Re: Oops. 1 Gig Recommendation 2nd try.

Yes, it appears that I am installing higher level packages that
eat up a lot of room.  The development tools was huge and included
things like perl, and several things I hadn't heard of.  Perhaps I
just needed to break open these packages and pull out the
specifics.

Is the crash when I put it into the laptop more likely because of
the lack of a swap partition or because of the foreign hardware
config?

Yes, I picked KDE because it wasn't as big as gnome.  Any
recommendations on the best petite graphical interface?

Finally, you offer advice as if it doesn't matter whether I use
Mandrake or Debian.  Is that your opinion?  Or are you just being
magnanimous not to discourage?

Thanks,
RF

Richard Flood